23 January 2009

Singing While Using Sight

I'm jumping back into being a music major this term, and it is HARD work! Seriously, I don't remember Ear Training being so hard! We had a sight singing quiz yesterday in class, and I was amazed at the miracle I was blessed with.

For those of you who are wondering, sight singing is just that- singing by sight. The instructor is being nice to us and letting us practice the several selections prior to our test; therefore, this wasn't true sight singing. When you sight read a piece of music, you play or sing it on the first try without having looked at it before hand.

My miracle is this: I made it through to the end of my test! That may not seem like a lot, but it is. I hadn't studied too hard for this quiz because I was studying for other quizzes from the same class- intervals identification, melodic dictation, rhythmic dictation, harmonic dictation. There is a lot to study!


Once again, Heavenly Father has blessed me with a crisp mind to remember the solfège for minor melodies and staying somewhat on pitch through my quiz. I am so grateful to have a keen mind that remembers what it has learned. I pray that I'll gain more confidence as I practice and study more this term.

No comments: