10 February 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Apple Pancakes with Cider Syrup

Do you ever get distracted and busy? I sure do- probably more distracted than busy though! That's what happened to my reposting of last week's Tasty Tuesday. Actually, Thursday and Friday flew by after participating in the grade-a-thon at my friends' house. (The mom is a math instructor at the local community college.) I must say, we had quite an entertaining evening that lasted well into the next day. There's nothing like finding a random 27 in the middle of a math problem to keep you thinking! Saturday evening was spent attending a local Amateur Radio Club Awards Banquet, where my dad was presented with the Herb S. Brier ARRL Instructor of the Year  Award. He was a co-recipient of the award; the other recipient was his team instructor in the Ham Radio classes they teach. Anyway, it was a rather neat event and ceremony.

Now on to the recipe you have all been waiting for! These are the best tasting pancakes and syrup I have ever eaten! No joke. I love the apple taste! I suppose I am slightly partial to things with prepared apple since I can't just bite into an apple anymore without an allergic reaction. (Darn modern-day pesticides.) These really were incredibly scrumptious! Oh, I should tell you that I only have pictures of making the pancakes because we had cider syrup left over from making this recipe previously.

Apple Pancakes with Cider Syrup
2 cups pancake mix
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup grated apple
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon


Peel and grate your apples. 
We used more apple than the recipe called for just to use all of the apples.

Combine the pancake mix and cinnamon.

Stir in the water and apple until just moistened.

Pour batter out onto a greased, hot griddle. When the bubbles turn into holes, it is time to flip!

Look at the nice color on this pancake! Let the pancake cook a couple minutes more before removing.

Serve with butter and warm apple cider syrup!
(See recipe below or click here for printable version.)

This was our "Breakfast for Dinner" meal with cheesy-broccoli eggs and sausage! Mmm...

Enjoy!

Apple Cider Syrup
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup apple cider or juice
  • 2 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

  • In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg. 
  • Stir in cider until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, about 5 minutes. 
  • Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir in butter and lemon juice.

2 comments:

Sara Lyn said...

I want the recipe for your cheesy-broccoli eggs! Those look yummy! I imagine you cook the broccoli before adding and otherwise just make scrambled eggs?

Unknown said...

We cut the broccoli into small pieces after steaming them. Then we made scrabbled eggs as usual- adding the broccoli once the eggs were solid and the cheese just before serving. They were good!