01 May 2010

Small Accomplishments

This week brought the beginning to a grand (and grueling) adventure. I started training for my first 5K run. Crazy, I know. I don't know what I was thinking when I decided to do this. Oh yeah... I wanted to be healthier and more fit. I am using a training schedule my sister-in-law suggested to me that trains a non-runner (me) to run a 5K in about nine weeks. I downloaded a podcast to my iPod that guides me as I run. 


First, I must say that the Northwest has greeted my return with open, wet arms. It rained 26 of the 30 days in April, which for those of you not in the Northwest is a new rain record. Anyone who knows me will tell you that I love the rain more than practically everyone. Yet, I am not quite ready to go running in the rain. I suppose that would cut the need for a shower afterwards! I had to find a break in the weather this week to fit in my run.


Today was my second run for the week, and I feel a small sense of accomplishment. I finished the workout- start to finish without stopping! I can't tell you how grand that makes me feel. It gives me a sense that I will be ready on time for the 5K if I keep going!!! That's the key. Two days ago on my first run, I could only do five of the eight 60-second runs. Then today, I did all eight!! I really had to push myself on the last one, but I did it! This is teaching me that I can do anything as long as I remember to push myself to the end. That's the key- pushing through the hard parts to reach the end.


Paka


*Pictures of my journey West still to come!*

3 comments:

Ramona Zabriskie said...

Woo hoo! I LOVE RUNNING! You make me miss it badly (darn that back and knees and being 51!) Keep it up! Keep it up! Why WALK when you can RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sara Lyn said...

Good for you! You make me miss running, too! Darn bad back and bad knees and being 28! :) I hope your first 5K goes really well!

Bri... only she said...

So proud of you! You can do it!!