Ah, self-control... How horrible and wonderful it is at the same time. I've found that a lot of my challenges of late have been in self-control. Some have been self-inflicted tests of my self-control.
Last week, I cut all desserts from my diet. Let me tell you that that was hard- especially when Dad brought home the brownies from Costco! Man, I almost gave in right then and there. I held strong until Mister E took me out to lunch and was disappointed that he wouldn't be able to order cheesecake for dessert. Seriously, the man can talk me into almost anything!
Speaking of Mister E, we decided to take a break from dating for a while. It's a long complicated story that even he and I don't fully understand. So, I won't bore you with all the details. However, I want to say that sitting next to him while he was so downtrodden without throwing my arms around him to comfort him was THE hardest test of my self-control. To watch him struggle and be weighed down with the world almost tore me apart knowing there wasn't anything I could do to help. I can only attribute the strength in self-control I had last night to the Lord. It is only through Him that I had the ability to refrain from hugging him till every care of the world left.
I've come to know that through the Lord, we gain strength that we wouldn't ordinarily have. We must rely on His ever out-stretched arm for guidance and support through life's many paths. It is through our practice of self-control while relying on the Lord that we ultimately overcome the natural man and become as our Father in heaven.
04 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment